COFEM and New Partnerships Foundations join to support immigrant students in financial need.

By EGP News Service

The Council of Mexican Federation in North America (COFEM), a not-for-profit organization serving the immigrant community, along with affiliated federations and The New Partnerships Foundation have established a scholarship program to support immigrant students that deserve equal opportunities and access to higher education this year.

In recognition of student’s financial need, the scholarship will range from $2,000 to $3,000, and be awarded to immigrant students, or descendants of immigrants, who are in good academic standing, participate in extra-curricular activities, have job experience or community participation, and/or demonstrate a unique life story and financial need.

“At the same time that we take a proactive attitude to grant these scholarships to immigrant students, we continue to strongly exhort the Governor to make the California Dream Act a reality; a bill that will allow undocumented students to apply and compete for financial aid.”

Application deadline is Oct.24. All applications should be delivered to COFEM at 125 Paseo de la Plaza, Suite 101, Los Angeles, CA 90012, attn. COFEM Scholarships. For more information visit online:www.cofem.org

October 2, 2008  Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.

Comments

6 Responses to ““Mexican-American Dream 2008” Scholarships Established to Help Immigrant Students”

1. adriana patricio on December 1st, 2008 1:18 pm

what kind of scholarships are offer to maxican students who want to attend a school in the United States? what are the requirements?

2. Edith Avalos on March 3rd, 2009 2:00 pm

Can ya’ll please help me with some scholarships, i want to go to college, but everywhere i go they ask me if i am a US citizen, I’m not, i am an immigrant who wants to succeed Here. Please help me out!!!!
    Thank,

Edith Avalos

3. Jeannette Cerda on March 20th, 2009 1:01 pm

I would be intested in knowing what kind of help you can offer. I am currently attending college classes. i have a 3.8 grade point average. I am not an imagrant, but my parents were. I am struggling to make it, my parents are not able to help me out. i will be the first to gradute from college. If there is any way you can help me I would really appreciate it. If you are not able to help, do you know who could help me? I thank you very much for you time.

Jeannette

4. Maricela Madero on January 19th, 2010 3:00 pm

I am a college student in my last year, but unfortunely I lost my job about 3 months ago. I am an immigrant from Mexico, I would be so thankful if someone can help me find organizations that offer scholarships to immigrant students. I have being able to pay for school all this years, but now it is a bit harder for me to do so since I have no job and no legal papers to work. It’s even harder because I am a mother of a 2 year old and take care of my mother who is 69 and can’t work anymore. Our only help is my husband who is also in school, but he was born here in U.S.A so things are much easier for him. Please if anyone can help me finish school, through scholarships. I will like to make my dream come true just because we are immigrants does not mean we are not smart or have dreams and hopes. We are a treasure hidden and when we come out we will have a lot to give to this country and to our People. Someday I will have my own organization. That’s my dream just like Mr. KIng had his.

5. Anselmo turrubiates on July 28th, 2010 11:57 pm

Hey im a 11 grader and i want to attend college and get a college degree but i was born in mexico and i dont know how to get financial aid and its harder for me cuz my mom died and i lived with my brother and her last wish was that she wanted for me to get a small career or education so please help me i want to be someone in this country and i want to get my american dream come true my so please help me

EDITOR’S NOTE: We do not publish contact information for minors, information about assistance can be provided in the form of a follow-up comment.

6. galvarez on August 2nd, 2010 10:07 am

Thank you or our inquiry, however, we cannot publish your comment because you are underage- and it is especially inappropriate to publish the email address of someone under the age of 18.