Commerce Condemns State Actions On Redevelopment Funds
By EGP News Report
Commerce city officials last week added their voices to the growing number of cities condeming what they call a Sacramento raid on redevelopment dollars.
In separate actions, Senate and Assembly Budget Committees voted Feb. 18 to allow the state to siphon off the funds to use to balance the state budget.
“These votes fly in the face of the will of California voters who just passed Proposition 22 three months ago to stop State raids of local government and redevelopment funds,” the city said in a written statement.
The committees approved the action despite not yet having bill language available, a decision Commerce calls “troubling.”
“Legislators on the two committees have abdicated their responsibility to voters,” said Commerce Mayor Tina Baca Del Rio. “To cast such an important vote without seeing any language is shockingly irresponsible and tone deaf to their constituents’ wishes.”
The assembly committee voted to “raid” the funds while the senate committee voted to abolish redevelopment altogether.
In Commerce, efforts to revitalize downtrodden communities back to socioeconomic health will be devastated, said city officials who point to Commerce’s use of redevelopment funds to bring about major projects like the Citadel Retail Outlets and the Vista Del Rio Housing Development as examples.
They say the taking of the funds amounts to a shutting-down of the economic engine that creates jobs. Eliminating redevelopment statewide will slow California’s economy, and result in the loss of “304,000 full- and part-time private sector jobs in a typical year, including 170,600 construction jobs; over $40 billion annually to California’s economy in the generation of goods and services; and $2 billion in state and local taxes in a typical year,” the city said in its statement.
March 3, 2011 Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.