Last Chance for Possible Abuse Victims at Montebello Catholic School

Bankruptcy case to bar lawsuits and claims after Aug. 1.

By Elizabeth Hsing-Huei Chou, EGP Staff Writer

Former students who want to file sex abuse lawsuits against the Congregation of Christian Brothers, which staffed Cantwell High School in Montebello from 1948 until 1990, will be barred from doing so after Aug. 1.

The Congregation of Christian Brothers, also known as the Irish Christian Brothers, filed for bankruptcy in New York courts last year, after it was hit with numerous sex-abuse lawsuits in recent years. They subsequently filed for a cut off date that will prevent further claims or lawsuits.

Lea esta nota EN ESPAÑOLCorto Plazo para las Posibles Víctimas de Abusos en una Escuela Católica de Montebello

The religious order runs several Catholic schools across the country, and for 42 years before the Los Angeles Archdiocese removed them in 1990, its members ran Cantwell High School in Montebello.

After the Congregation of Christian Brothers left, the school, which was an all-boys school at the time, was combined with Sacred Heart of Mary, an all-girls school, to form Cantwell-Sacred Heart of Mary High School.

Joelle Casteix, western regional director for the Survivors Network of those Abused By Priests, SNAP, said their organization, made up of sex abuse victims and their supporters, is working to inform other potential abuse victims about the Aug. 1 deadline. Other types of claims not having to do with sex abuse will also be barred following that date.

Mike Reck, an attorney specializing in clergy abuse cases, believes the bankruptcy case is a “shrewd legal tactic from a faith-based institution” to protect itself from further sex abuse lawsuits.

“[The Congregation of Christian Brothers] really should not be able to seek protection of the bankruptcy court when their debts are crimes against children. These children they hurt really should come forward now before they lose the opportunity to do so,” he said.

Joelle Castaix, left, holds pictures of possible abusers who taught or were principals at Cantwell High School. On right, Ken Smolka holds a picture of when he was a victim of sexual abuse while attending Loyola High School. (EGP photo by Elizabeth Hsing-Huei Chou)

Casteix says there were at least four possible abusers at Cantwell High School, identified from school yearbooks and other sources.

She added the Congregation of Christian Brothers had a habit of “shuffling molesters from school to school to school, even if they were named in lawsuits, or arrested.”

One Brother who was moved around was Thomas Cuthbert Ford, a principal at Cantwell High during the early 1980s, who in 2000 pleaded guilty to beating a teenager unconscious and was sentenced to five months in jail. He had originally fled allegations of physical abuse in Canada, going first to teach at a school in Honolulu, then to Cantwell.

Other possible abusers Casteix identified include Jerome Matthias Heustis, a teacher at Cantwell during the 1970s who was accused of sexually abusing a boy in New York; and Daniel Peter Ryan, a vice principal and teacher, also during the 1970s, who was identified as a potential abuser and was later transferred to a school where more than 50 children have alleged sexual and physical abuse.

Robert W. Satterthwaite, who taught at Cantwell in the 1960s and 1970s, was named not only in a lawsuit, but also in a report on possible abusers released by the Los Angeles Archdiocese, according to Casteix.

The Brothers identified by Casteix, with the exception of Satterthwaite, have all died.

Catholic institutions such as the Los Angeles Archdiocese maintain that many of the teachers and staff named in lawsuits or brought forward by groups like SNAP have not been convicted of sex-abused crimes.

Casteix says the clergy have shown no interest in informing victims of their legal rights, and it has fallen on organizations like theirs to bring clergy out into the open, adding that “this is not just about personal healing, but also about ensuring child safety and punishing wrong-doers.”

Print This Post Print This Post

March 22, 2012  Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.

Comments

3 Responses to “Last Chance for Possible Abuse Victims at Montebello Catholic School”

  1. Judy Jones on March 22nd, 2012 12:21 pm

    Hopefully anyone, who may have knowledge or may have been harmed by anyone Cantwell High School in Montebello, will have the courage to speak up, come forward and report it to police. The deadline for filing a suit for abuse by the Christian Brothers is August 1st.

    When victims stay silent, nothing changes. But when victims find the courage to take action, there’s at least a chance for prevention, healing and justice ­ especially when they seek independent sources of support and avoid contacting Catholic officials.

    Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, USA, 636-433-2511

    (SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims.
    SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 12,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers and increasingly, victims who were assaulted in a wide range of institutional settings like summer camps, athletic programs, Boy Scouts, etc. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

  2. Rev. Kobutsu Malone on March 22nd, 2012 2:55 pm

    The “Christian” Brothers moved these guys around all over the country… even internationally for decades. NOW IS THE TIME to speak up. Even if you weren’t abuse but simply witnessed abuse. Abuse here does not mean just sexual abuse… it also means physical and psychological abuse. Even if you don’t file a claim, contact one of the many law firms working with survivors. Just corroborating the allegations of a classmate will help hold these criminals in clerical clothing accountable.

    I am a survivor, my story and the stories of fellow classmates are up on my website: http://www.bergencatholicabuse.com

    Please come forward and help us establish the truth of the terror we endured….

    Tank you.

  3. Loyola Alum on March 22nd, 2012 10:42 pm

    The caption mentions Loyola High School. Jesuit Fr. Jerold Lindner taught at Loyola High School, Los Angeles from 1982 to 1997. The Jesuit Order paid $2 million in settlements involving Fr. Lindner’s alleged sex abuse of minors who did not attend Loyola High. Fr. Lindner was also accused of making death threats. Please contact the police if you know of abuse by Fr. Lindner at Loyola High or elsewhere.

Comments are intended to further discussion on the article topic. EGPNews reserves the right to not publish, edit or remove comments that contain vulgarities, foul language, personal attacks, racists, sexist, homophobic or other offensive terminology or that contain solicitations, spam, or that threaten harm of any sort. EGPNews will not approve comments that call for or applaud the death, injury or illness of any person, regardless of their public status. Questions regarding this policy should be e-mailed to service@egpnews.com.





 characters available

Copyright © 2014 Eastern Group Publications, Inc. · Log in