Contest to Award YMCA Family Memberships
It’s said “a picture is worth a thousand words,” but it could take just100 words to win your family a free YMCA family membership.
Councilman Jose Huizar is sponsoring the “Gift of Health” essay contest, which will award six families a membership at the Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA.
Huizar announced the contest last week at the White Memorial Medical Center’s Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration. The YMCA and White Memorial are administering the program.
Four families from White Memorial’s Healthy Eating Lifestyle Program (HELP) have already been selected based on commitment and participation in that program.
The other six families for the program, which is funded by the councilman’s office, will be selected through a 100-word essay writing contest. Winners will be announced in the New Year.
“I can think of no better gift to give our families this Holiday Season than the gift of health,” said Huizar. “Through these sponsorships in collaboration with the YMCA and White Memorial, we are ensuring 10 families are going to be fit and healthy in the New Year – hopefully it will inspire others to do the same.”
Huizar urged families striving to be healthy, or who need a little extra help, like a gym membership, to meet their healthy living goals, and who and live with 5-miles of the Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA (2900 Whittier Blvd., L.A. 90023) to apply. Deadline to apply is Jan. 4, 2012.
For contest details, call (213) 473-7014.
• Write an essay of how your family will benefit from this “Gift of Health.”
• Essay must be 100 words or less. Please write legibly and/or use a computer.
• Explain how you will stay motivated to make a lifestyle change.
• You must live within 5 miles of the YMCA or be able to commit to access your membership.
• Include the following information on your letter – this information does not count as part of your 100-word essay: (First and last name, address, phone and e-mail, number of members in your family and their names and ages.)
Essays will be judged by the White Memorial Community Leadership Council which includes members of our community.
Winners will be notified by phone and receive a letter by mail.
Mail your essay to:
(Postmarked no later than January 4, 2013)
Attn: YMCA Essay Contest
White Memorial Medical Center
1720 Cesar E. Chavez Ave.
December 13, 2012 Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.