- Eastern Group Publications/EGPNews - http://egpnews.com -

Suspect In Boyle Heights Fatal Standoff Identified

Authorities on Wednesday identified a carjacking suspect who was killed in a shootout with deputies after he barricaded himself in a Boyle Heights apartment.

Edward Ramirez, 35, of Los Angeles, died at the scene of the shooting, which occurred about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 500 block of Fairview Street, according to the coroner’s office and the sheriff’s department.

The incident began in the 300 block of Woods Avenue about five hours earlier, when deputies responded to a report of an armed carjacking.

Deputies saw the vehicle as it entered the westbound Pomona (60) Freeway, and when it exited the freeway they tried to stop it, but it kept going. During the subsequent chase, the suspect tried to run a deputy over, according to the department.

In the 500 block of Progress Place, Ramirez allegedly got out of the vehicle, jumped over a chain-link fence, and pointed a gun at the pursuing deputies, leading to a deputy-involved shooting, the sheriff’s department reported. No one was hit by the gunfire.

Ramirez allegedly ran into the apartment building on Fairview Street and forced his way into an occupied unit, where residents took cover in the bathroom. A sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau deputy with a police dog assisted in the search, and Ramirez allegedly fired at the deputy, but he and his dog escaped injury.

SWAT team deputies then contacted Ramirez, and a crisis negotiator tried to coax him out, but he remained inside, the sheriff’s department reported. Deputies rescued the occupants of the apartment through a bathroom window and also evacuated occupants of nearby apartments.

During the standoff, SWAT deputies fired several rounds of tear gas into the apartment, and Ramirez allegedly came out two times and pointed a handgun at deputies, who fired at him on both occasions, the sheriff’s department reported.

Ramirez later emerged from the apartment and allegedly ran toward deputies, firing at them with his handgun, and the deputies fatally shot him. A loaded .38 caliber handgun was recovered from Ramirez, the sheriff’s department reported.

In addition to the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, the shooting was being investigated by sheriff’s Internal Affairs Bureau, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, and the County of Los Angeles Office of Independent Review.

Anyone with information on the case was asked to call the homicide bureau at (323) 890-5500, or Crimestoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.