March for Montebello To Continue This Year

By EGP Staff Report

An annual walk promoting local economic stimulation in Montebello will take place Aug. 17 as scheduled, now that safety concerns have been addressed.

“March for Montebello,” a two-mile walk along Montebello Boulevard that goes from Victoria Street to the Shops of Montebello, is meant to encourage the city’s young people to shop local and become informed about the city’s finances.

Concerns about the first march prompted Mayor Christina Cortez to put the item on the city council agenda. She said she wanted to make sure there is consensus among council members that the march, which drew 650 participants last year, should go on again this year.

Cortez said the march is a “source of pride” and helps bring the community together. She said it encourages residents to shop at local businesses thereby helping to stimulate the local economy, something city officials have identified as a key strategy to improving Montebello’s tight budget.

“The intention is to maintain the local dollars in our city,” Cortez said.

Some members of the community at previous council meetings had expressed concerns about the two-mile march that requires walking up a hill on a hot summer day. Councilman Art Barajas reassured residents that citizens on patrol in vehicles would keep an eye out for anyone who might experience a problem, such as becoming dehydrated or overly tired.

At the council’s July 24 meeting, Robert Fuentes, a member of the city’s Youth Advocate Group, told the council the walk is a way for young people like him to get involved in the city.

“The march really helps the youth become aware, and it helps our residents know about the importance of shopping in Montebello,” Fuentes said.

Barajas said he hopes more adults will join the youth participating in this year’s event.

Putting politics aside, Councilman William M. Molinari voted with his council colleagues to unanimously approve continuing the event as a partnership between the city and the shopping center.

“Ms. Cortez and I disagree once in a while, but in this case it’s something that I agree totally with her,” Molinari said, referring to her push to hold the march again. “Its an event that not only shows Montebello in a positive light but its one of the few events we can do given the budget constraints.”

 

For more information about the event call (323) 887-1437. 

 
Print This Post Print This Post

August 8, 2013  Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.

Comments

Comments are intended to further discussion on the article topic. EGPNews reserves the right to not publish, edit or remove comments that contain vulgarities, foul language, personal attacks, racists, sexist, homophobic or other offensive terminology or that contain solicitations, spam, or that threaten harm of any sort. EGPNews will not approve comments that call for or applaud the death, injury or illness of any person, regardless of their public status. Questions regarding this policy should be e-mailed to service@egpnews.com.





 characters available

Copyright © 2014 Eastern Group Publications, Inc. ·