After nearly eight years of serving as a councilman and at times mayor of the city of Montebello, Frank A. Gomez announced during last week’s city council meeting that he will not seek reelection in November.
“I am not and will not be a candidate for reelection this November,” said Gomez when it came time for his council member oral communication.
He said he plans to marry a wonderful woman and move out of the area.
“My children are getting older and I think it is best that they are exposed to a myriad of experiences,” Gomez explained.
He said his responsibilities as a Cal State Los Angeles chemistry professor would also be increasing in the future and it’s important to make “this next stage in his career a priority.”
Gomez, who currently serves as the chair for the board of trustees at Don Bosco Tec High School, told the crowd he takes great pride in being the only councilmember to have been elected to both the Montebello Unified School District Board and the Montebello City Council.
Gomez said at the meeting that the city is at a “crossroads” and city leaders must choose whether they want to maintain the status quo, or make the difficult decisions that would allow the city to thrive.
The councilman, who would have been up for reelection with Councilmen William M. Molinari and Art Barajas in November, said residents who vote without first becoming educated on the candidates running, “only have themselves to blame for what the city becomes.”
Gomez said city officials need to think outside the box and consider ways to increase revenues. He recommended they look at the long-stalled Montebello Hills housing development project, and consider contracting with the Los Angeles County Fire Dept. for fire services or implementing a utility tax. He said the council needs to implement a “long-term” plan to achieve the city’s “full potential” and avoid becoming like cities to the south.
“I look forward to completing the final months of my term with the same vigor and passion as I on my first day in November 2009,” Gomez said.
By removing himself from the election, the filing period for candidates hoping to win his seat will be extended to August 14, according to the city.