A gas leak on Wednesday afternoon in Commerce led authorities to evacuate eight homes and a two-story apartment complex. Firefighters were sent to the 1400 block of South Sydney Drive at 2:42 p.m., said Inspector Tony Akins of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Denise King of Southern California Gas Co. said a homeowner digging with a shovel in a yard managed to rupture a 1/2-inch-diameter gas line. She said a crew was dispatched to the scene to stop the flow of gas and make repairs, adding that three customers were without service.
She said the utility urges contractors and homeowners to call 811 at least two business days before they do any digging in order to prevent damaging gas lines.
The 811 call is a free service and Gas Co. crews will come to the site and mark the location of underground lines.