Council Approves Settlement In Crash Involving Huizar

By City News Service

 The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a $185,000 settlement Wednesday with a private investigator whose car was rear-ended by a city-owned vehicle driven by Councilman Jose Huizar.

An attorney for David Ceja, a former Huntington Park police officer, said Huizar hit his client’s 2002 Saturn L200 on Oct. 25, 2012, at First and Boyle streets.

Ceja’s car “was hit very hard – it was declared a total loss,” Guizar said. Guizar added that Ceja, who was 48 years old at the time, was working as a private investigator for the city of Los Angeles – looking into worker compensation fraud – when the crash occurred.

Both vehicles had been stopped at the light, Guizar said.

Huizar likely “lost focus for a moment and collided and rear-ended by client’s car,” he said.

Huizar released a statement Wednesday saying that “while this was the type of unfortunate accident that could have happened to anybody, I take full responsibility for my part in this matter.”

“I wasn’t personally involved in the final settlement agreement, which was mutually agreed upon by the city attorney’s office and the plaintiff’s attorney,” he said.

Print This Post Print This Post

March 20, 2014  Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.

Comments

Comments are intended to further discussion on the article topic. EGPNews reserves the right to not publish, edit or remove comments that contain vulgarities, foul language, personal attacks, racists, sexist, homophobic or other offensive terminology or that contain solicitations, spam, or that threaten harm of any sort. EGPNews will not approve comments that call for or applaud the death, injury or illness of any person, regardless of their public status. Questions regarding this policy should be e-mailed to service@egpnews.com.





 characters available

Copyright © 2014 Eastern Group Publications, Inc. ·