Parents Accused of Abducting Their Children Plead Not Guilty
By City News Service
A couple who allegedly abducted their four children from their custodial grandmother in Boyle Heights and later surrendered to authorities at the Otay Mesa border crossing pleaded not guilty Tuesday to kidnapping and other charges.
Enrique Felix and Rose Chairez, both 28, were taken into custody Sunday at the border. Their four children were found at the U.S.-Mexico border March 18, four days after they disappeared.
The parents are each charged with two counts of kidnapping, four counts of child stealing and one count of first-degree burglary with a person present, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
They are due back in court April 11. Felix was ordered jailed on $570,000 bail, while Chairez’s bail was set at $510,000.
According to police, Chairez contacted detectives on Sunday and told them she and Felix were willing to surrender and would be crossing the border from Mexico at Otay Mesa. They were detained by the Border Patrol and turned over to the LAPD.
The couple allegedly abducted 8-year-old Enrique Felix, 6-year-old Justin Felix and twin year-old girls Veronica and Janet Felix from their grandmother in the 1400 block of North Indiana Street, according to prosecutors.
The children had been taken away from their parents because their father allegedly was violent toward them and their mother, LAPD Capt. Martin Baeza said.
A restraining order against the parents required them to make an appointment for them to see their children under supervision by child welfare workers with the county Department of Children and Family Services, police said.
Prosecutors contend that Felix has prior convictions for making a criminal threat and possession for sale of cocaine base. He faces nearly 50 years in prison if convicted. Chairez faces nearly 20 years, prosecutors said.Print This Post
April 3, 2014 Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.