Customers Can File Complaints On New L.A. Sanitation Website

By City News Service

An online portal that allows customers to submit billing disputes and get information about trash pickup was unveiled this week by the Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation, which has been dealing with widespread complaints since the city’s RecycLA program went into effect several months ago.

The franchise waste hauling system that became operational July 1 is meant to expand recycling opportunities to thousands of businesses and apartment buildings while also cutting down on pollution by reducing the number of trucks on the street.

Web-recycLA Billing Dispute portal

Under the RecycLA system, seven companies handle an estimated $3.5 billion in commercial waste hauling in Los Angeles. Each company is assigned as the sole trash hauler for commercial sites and multi-family complexes in one or more of the city’s 11 zones.

But some customers have complained about skyrocketing costs under the new program, while maintaining that the quality of service has fallen.

“Inappropriate overcharges for trash pickup are unacceptable, so we are making sure that Angelenos can more easily submit billing disputes, and better understand how to keep costs as low as possible,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said. “I know this transition has been tough for some customers — so we’ll keep working hard to ensure that recycLA works for people in this city, and meets our goal to make L.A. cleaner, greener, and healthier.”

Garcetti’s office said more than three-quarters of customers pay only the base rate, but some have reported sudden cost increases.

Some City Council members have reported that since the rollout of the program, their offices have been inundated with angry phone calls. Some business operators have said their fees have doubled, tripled or quadrupled under the new program while quality of service has plummeted.

“We’re all getting the same phone calls each and every day. Our office is overloaded,” Councilman Mitchell Englander said in August. “In fact, I don’t remember a time where we’ve gotten so many irate phone calls over one particular issue that’s directly impacting so many different people.”

The online portal can be found at www.lacitysan.org/recycLA.

December 6, 2017  Copyright © 2012 Eastern Group Publications, Inc.

Comments

7 Responses to “Customers Can File Complaints On New L.A. Sanitation Website”

1. Scott McKinley on February 14th, 2018 6:57 am

We are the broker for Casa Panomara at 14555 Osborne Street in Panorama, CA. 91401. My client gets absolutely horrible service consistently from Republic Services. In September of 17 they missed 10 out of 13 service days. Since then they consistently miss a pick up each week. 2 months ago Republic broke a caster on the customer owned compactor box. I have called 3 times. Each time spent 1 hour on the phone waiting to speak with someone. Each time I hung up thinking I have the issue solved. The repair still has not been repaired at of 2/14/18. Yesterday they damaged the side of the garage. We cannot get any customer service response. Our sales rep cannot be reached by phone and returns 1 in 5 emails and that takes a few days. And Republic does not care as this is a franchise and they cannot lose the work. They should have been terminated long ago. They just don’t care! Help! Anyone that can help please call me at (401) 339-1188. –Scott McKinley

2. Irina on May 18th, 2018 6:09 pm

Whom should I complain about Athens Trash removal company?

3. ARSEN MKERCHYAN on May 24th, 2018 3:54 pm

Great our politicians and LA City Council has created a new monopoly called Recycle LA. Republic service is my franchisee that services my building on 8207 Langdon Ave, Van Nuys, Ca 91406. Since the start of the program August 1st,2017 they increase my trash bill from $250.00 dollars to #1300.00 five fold increase. You would think with this kind of rate increase we would expect exceptional service on the contrary the service is horrible and nonexistent , missing pick up days not having the right side container delivered per contract. since takeover, unprofessional service staff on the phone and on the ground. This company needs to go and monopoly needs to go and we need to have competition back to get service again. United States antitrust laws were created to protect against unfair competition for the benefit of consumers. I need to organize and stop this madness please contact me at 818-257-0079. Arsen Mkerchya

4. B young on May 31st, 2018 8:47 pm

They came and picked up some and left the rest of my trash in the streets I’m requesting a email from management so that I can send the pictures … bags were open trash all over I thought we paid for this service I think your workers thinks it’s a free service

5. Diana Hsieh on June 20th, 2018 5:47 pm

My building at 1032 albany street Los Angeles ca 90015 is experiencing the problem with republic services. Trash has not been collected due to their negligence in billing and we are suffering for it. Never in the 6 years I’ve lied in this building have we experienced such poor service until republic took over the contract. Their customer service is horrible and not helpful. Every week is I have to hope our trash will get picked up. Our dumpsters are over flowing and the odor is horrendous. I don’t know who to contact . Please advise anyone! Please email me:
    Emulateproductions@gmail.com
    Thanks for your time
    Diana Hsieh

6. MARITZA on June 29th, 2018 10:22 am

Your worker work very drity! They trash the trash room every time they come out to pick up the trash if the bins are full they are supposed to take not leave it on the floor or in the middle of the parking area.

7. Aquiles Gemba on July 12th, 2018 9:12 am

Since day 1 the new service started I have a have a trash container that does not fit the opening I have in my building. I sopke with the driver several times and we called also severaltimes. The y assured me they will send an inspector to evaluate the situation, just unfulfiled promises, The contsainer is seating on the sidewalk and begging to an accident to happen. I believe the City of Los Angeles has to force the trash company to remedie this situation as one. We used to have a company that was reponsable for the service rendered but with a monopoly we have only one supplier of service this is not the right way to go. Please you can contact me at 310 652-2404 (Aquiles Gemba)