LOS ANGELES – Police searched Tuesday for a gunman involved in a drive-by shooting that wounded a 17-year-old boy in the Sanford neighborhood of Los Angeles south of Boyle Heights.
The shooting was reported around 11:10 p.m. Monday near the intersection of Whittier Boulevard and South Indiana Street, said Officer Liliana Preciado of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Media Relations Division. The teen was taken to a hospital, where he was in stable condition, she said.
A description of the car or the suspect was not immediately available.
The shooting was believed to be gang-related, Preciado said.
(CNS) – A man was shot in his stomach Sunday in the Boyle Heights area of Los Angeles, authorities said.
It happened at 10:08 p.m. in an alley north of the intersection of Cesar Chavez Avenue and Soto Street, Sgt. A. Aldegarie of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollenbeck Station said.
Paramedics took the man to a hospital, Aldegarie said.
Suspect information was not available, he said.
A man was wounded Tuesday in what is believed to be a gang-related shooting in Boyle Heights.
The victim, who is about 30, was shot about 4:45 p.m. in the 2700 block of Wabash Avenue, according to Officer Sal Ramirez of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Media Relations Section.
He was conscious and breathing when taken to a hospital, Ramirez said.
A man believed to be 18 to 20 years old, who was armed with a handgun and wearing a gray sweatshirt, fled the scene eastbound toward the Wabash Recreation Center, the officer said.
Wabash Avenue was closed between Mott Street and Forest Avenue as police investigated the shooting.
The Coroner’s Office identified a 34-year-old man Monday who was found shot dead Sunday in the courtyard of a Boyle Heights apartment complex.
The shooting victim was identified as Alejandro Diaz, according to Investigator John Kades of the coroner’s office.
Kades said he had no place of residence for Diaz.
The shooting was reported at 1:10 a.m. Sunday in the apartment complex at 2900 The Mall, according to the watch commander of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollenbeck Station.
Diaz was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound to the head, the sergeant said.
No suspect information was available, he said.
A 26-year-old man was killed in an apparent gang-related shooting in Boyle Heights, police said Monday.
Officers were dispatched about 8:30 p.m. Sunday to investigate a report of a shooting at the intersection of First and Gless streets, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
They found the wounded victim lying on the street between two parked vehicles, police said. Paramedics took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the LAPD.
The victim’s name has not been released.
“The motive appears to be gang related,” police said.
Anyone with information about the killing was urged to call detectives at the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Station at (323) 342-8960 or the station watch commander at (323) 343-4100. After-hours and weekend calls should be directed to (877) LAPD-24-7.
Anonymous tips can be submitted through Crime Stoppers by calling (800) 222-TIPS or at the website lacrimestoppers.org.
BOYLE HEIGHTS – An officer-involved shooting in Boyle Heights last week that claimed the life of a 14-year-old boy, sparking outrage by many in the eastside neighborhood, has also generated calls for greater investment in program and services for Los Angeles youth.
Dozens of members of the 23 nonprofits that make up the Boyle Heights for Youth Campaign at a press conference last Friday called on city officials to fund a department focused on youth development services citywide.
Standing at the Ross Valencia pocket park across from the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Station and Boyle Heights City Hall, the group insisted that investing more city money in programs that keep young people on a productive path and off the streets is the key to reducing crime in the area.
Lou Calanche, executive director at Legacy LA and Boyle Heights for Youth – two groups dedicated to advocating for at-risk youth – told EGP that putting money into after school mentoring, homework help, workforce development, college support and other services targeted at supporting low-income young people is an investment in public safety.
Legacy LA, which serves youth in Boyle Heights and the Ramona Gardens Housing Development, strives to give young people an alternative to gangs and violence.
According to police, on Aug. 9, 14-year-old Jesse James Romero shot a handgun in the direction of police who were chasing him on foot in response to a report of vandalism involving “gang writing.”
“According to a witness, who saw the subject running from the officers, the witness saw the subject shoot a handgun in the direction of the pursuing officers,” LAPD Deputy Chief Robert Arcos said during a press conference the next day.
Arcos said the pursuing officers heard a gunshot as they approached a corner during the chase.
“As the officers rounded the corner, one of the officers became involved in an officer-involved shooting,” Arcos said, adding he could not say if the officer who shot Romero was under fire at the time the teen was shot.
According to the LA Times, however, another witness told the news outlet that she saw Romero pull a handgun from his waistband, throw it at a fence and when it hit the ground she heard the weapon fire.
A handgun was recovered from the scene. The investigation is “ongoing.”
It’s these types of tragedies Calanche says Legacy LA and Boyle Heights for Youth want to prevent.
After hearing about Romero’s shooting by police, Brown Beret member Robert Cristo, 24, said he felt compelled to attend Friday’s press conference.
“We were shocked and appalled,” Cristo said. “But this shooting is a clear example of the lack of youth development in the area” that too often leads to tragic outcomes for young people living in working class neighborhoods.
Several protests have been held in the wake of this most recent officer-involved shooting. Romero’s family is demanding justice and they dispute claims that he may have been involved with gangs.
At protest rallies and vigils, area activists decried what they call a rash of police-involved shootings of “Mexican-American youth in Boyle Heights.” Four other officer-involved shootings have taken place since February 2016, “and residents are angry and demanding an end to the police violence,” organizers of a protest rally Saturday at the Hollenbeck Police Station said.
For Calanche and others, the conversation should not just be about blame or whether the teen really had a gun.
“We should be talking about helping youth, not waiting for them to commit a crime,” she told EGP.
Cristo says communities like Boyle Heights that have a problem with gang violence need to deal with the “root of the problem,” which he boils down to a lack of opportunities and alternatives to gangs.
According to 2010 census data, an estimated 1 million people under the age of 24 live in Los Angeles. The City of L.A.’s budget allocates $42 million for youth programs and workforce development, nearly the same amount it spends on animal services, organizers of Friday’s press conference complained.
“The city [of Los Angeles] spends more on the zoos than it does on youth,” said a resentful Araceli Rodriguez, 19.
Nancy Flores believes the city’s budget reflects other priorities.
“With almost half of the city budget going to law enforcement, as a youth in the community, that says to me that we are not the priority to our city officials,” Flores said.
“It’s saying incarcerating us is more important than investing in programs to prevent us from cycling through the system.”
Participation in youth programs is the solution, says Rodriguez, who personally takes part in youth-oriented programs offered in Boyle Heights. But she’s quick to point out that many of her Garfield High School peers don’t have the same support.
“A lot of youth in this area are first generation,” she said, acknowledging that many of “their parents can’t really help them with school or are busy working.”
Tragically, too often it’s the gangs that become mentors, Calanche lamented.
Rodriguez told EGP she hopes city officials come together and step in soon to turn things around.
“Everyone says that youth are the future, but the city of LA doesn’t invest in us, or our future.”
Authorities Monday identified a man shot to death in Boyle Heights.
Raul Ceja Jr., 25, was gunned down about 9:35 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of Mott Street, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
Firefighters responded but were unable to revive Ceja, who he was pronounced dead at the scene.
No suspect information was made available, nor did police release any details on the circumstances leading up to the shooting or a possible motive.
Anyone with information regarding Ceja’s killing was urged to call detectives at the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Station at (213) 342-8959.
After-hours or weekend calls should be directed to (877) LAPD-24-7.
Los Angeles Police Department Hollenbeck Homicide Detectives are asking for the public’s help in providing any information that would lead to the identity and arrest of the person(s) responsible for the murder of a 54-year-old, Raul Alaniz Jr.
On July 11, 2016, around 3:50 p.m., Hollenbeck officers responded to a radio call of “Ambulance Shooting” in the 900 block of South Lorena Street. Alaniz Jr, who is a resident of Los Angeles, was found shot multiple times inside a converted garage.
Los Angeles Fire Department was summoned and discovered one additional victim, a male Hispanic, whom appeared to have ran for help and was shot multiple times. Both the victims were transported to a local hospital, where Raul Alaniz Jr was pronounced dead. Victim-2 was treated at the hospital and is listed in stable condition.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Hollenbeck Homicide Detectives at (213) 342-8959 or 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (1-877-527-3247).
Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477).
One man was killed and another was wounded Monday afternoon in a shooting in Boyle Heights.
Officers were called about 3:50 p.m. to the 900 block of South Bernal Avenue, according to Sgt. Alejandra Fiallos of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollenbeck Station.
The condition of the second shooting victim, who was taken to a hospital, was not immediately known.
Two rescue ambulances transported the patients from the scene to a hospital, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
A 28-year-old suspect shot and killed by Los Angeles police in Boyle Heights fired six shots, one of which struck an officer in an arm, before he was fatally wounded, authorities said last week.
The suspected gang member, Robert Mark Diaz, was killed about 8:25 p.m. May 13 in the 3400 block of Lee Street, the Los Angeles Police Department said.
According to preliminary results of the ongoing LAPD shooting investigation, Hollenbeck Area Gang Enforcement Detail officers were in the area of Seventh and Lorena streets when they saw Diaz standing with a group of several males.
“As the officers neared the group, Diaz separated himself, drawing the attention of the officers,” according to an LAPD statement. “As Diaz ran north on Lorena, the officers chased him on foot. Diaz ran east on Lee Street and the officers were able to close the distance. Diaz then produced a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun and fired six rounds at the pursuing officers, striking one of them in his right arm. The partner officer fired at Diaz, striking him, stopping the deadly threat.”
Diaz, who was homeless, according to the coroner’s office, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Both the wounded officer and his partner, who complained of pain to his shoulder, neck and a hand, were taken to a hospital, police said.
“Investigators recovered the handgun used by Diaz,” the LAPD said, which reported that he was “a documented gang member with a lengthy criminal record.”
The shooting remains under investigation by the LAPD’s Force Investigation Division. Collected evidence will also be reviewed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.