A 40-year-old motorist, possibly driving drunk, was killed Sunday when he lost control of his pickup truck on the Arroyo Seco parkway (Route 110) near Highland Park, and his pickup truck smashed into a tree.
The crash was on the southbound 110 Freeway at Avenue 43 at 4:25 a.m., the California Highway Patrol reported.
The driver was a Pasadena man, at the wheel of a red 1989 Toyota pickup truck. The CHP said he made an unsafe curve, and hit the right side of the freeway.
The pickup truck continued up an embankment and struck a tree. The motorist was pronounced dead at the scene, he had no passengers aboard.
“The investigation is ongoing and alcohol consumption by the driver may be a factor in this collision,” the CHP reported.
The CHP’s Los Angeles office asked anyone who saw the crash to call them at (213) 744-2331.
A Latino gang member from Highland Park, who spent more than 15 years on the run in connection with a racially motivated murder, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to federal charges.
Merced “Shadow” Cambero, 38, entered his plea to charges of conspiracy against rights, interference with federally protected activities, aiding and abetting, and use or discharge of a firearm during a crime of violence causing death.
U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson set a March 28 trial date in downtown Los Angeles.
Cambero was taken into custody by Mexican authorities in Baja California and turned over to the FBI at the border on Feb. 3. Federal prosecutors allege he was one of three shooters who gunned down Kenneth Kurry Wilson, a black man, in Highland Park in April 1999.
Cambero, according to federal court documents, is a member of the Avenues gang, which waged a campaign of terror against blacks in Highland Park.
The case marked the first time the federal hate crime statute had been used to combat racial violence by members of a street gang.
In 2006, three other members of the Avenues gang were sentenced to life in federal prison as part of the six-year conspiracy that also saw another black man gunned down at a bus stop in December 2000. A fourth man was convicted as a lookout in that 2000 slaying of Christopher Bowser.
Monday’s scheduled plea and trial-setting hearing for an alleged gang member from Highland Park, who spent more than a dozen years on the run in connection with two racially motivated murders, was delayed until Feb. 14.
Merced Cambero, 38, was arrested Friday at the Mexican border and transferred to a federal lockup in downtown Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. He is expected to enter a not-guilty plea next week before U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson, who will set a trial date.
In 2004, Cambero and four fellow alleged members of the Avenues gang were charged with conspiracy against rights, interference with federally protected activities, aiding and abetting, and use or discharge of a firearm during crime of violence causing death.
The case marked the first time the federal hate crime statute had been used to combat racial violence by members of a street gang.
During the ensuing three years, Cambero’s co-defendants were convicted and sentenced to life terms in federal prison for their roles in a gang-related conspiracy that led to the murders of two black men in the mostly Latino neighborhood claimed by the gang, prosecutors said.
Christopher Bowser was shot while waiting at a bus stop in Highland Park on Dec. 11, 2000, and Kenneth Wilson was gunned down while looking for a parking space in Highland Park on April 18, 1999.
Cambero is accused of participating in the murders.
A former volunteer football coach at a Highland Park high school was sentenced last week to 36 years in state prison for sex-related acts involving five teenage boys.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ray G. Jurado imposed the term on Jaime Jimenez to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life and not to contact the victims for 10 years.
Jimenez, 48, of Los Angeles, was removed from his post at Franklin High School after his April 2015 arrest, Los Angeles Unified School District officials said.
Jimenez pleaded no contest Nov. 10 to two felony counts each of continuous sexual abuse and lewd act on a child 14 to 15 years old and one count of misdemeanor sexual battery.
The five victims were between 13 to 16 years old at the time of the crimes, which occurred between August 2002 and December 2014 and did not happen on school grounds, according to Deputy District Attorney Reinhold Mueller.
A 38-year-old convicted arsonist, who’s accused of intentionally setting two fires at an address in the Highland Park area, pleaded not guilty Monday to felony charges.
Javier Viera, who was previously convicted of arson crimes in the city of Pasadena, is facing two counts of arson of a structure and one count of aggravated arson.
Viera, who’s being held on $1.58 million bail, is due back in court on Dec. 6, when a date is expected to be set for a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial.
Viera was arrested Friday at his home, eight days after Los Angeles Fire Department investigators “responded to a suspected arson fire in the 300 block of North Kirby Street, where they encountered…Viera at the scene,” LAFD spokesman Peter Sanders said.
“At the Kirby Street fire, investigators discovered a second intentionally set fire that had failed to spread at the base of a garage,” he said.
Viera already considered a suspect in a series of deliberately set trash container and vehicle fires in May in the Highland Park area, Sanders said.
Viera was convicted of 11 counts of arson in 2014, according to the criminal complaint.
“Arson is a serious crime and we have zero tolerance for willful acts of destruction in the city of Los Angeles,” LAFD Chief Ralph M. Terrazas said after Viera’s arrest.
“We are thankful there were no injuries or lives lost as a result of these fires and we will always investigate and prosecute the serious crime of arson to the fullest extent of the law,” Terrazas said.
A man who allegedly threatened to kill his father was arrested Tuesday following a five-hour standoff in the Highland Park area, authorities said.
The 33-year-old man, whose name was not immediately released, was transported to a hospital after police used a stun gun to subdue him, said Officer Liliana Preciado, a Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman.
No one else was injured during the standoff.
Officers were dispatched around 10:15 p.m. Monday to a report of a man with a knife threatening to kill a relative at a residence on Meridian Street near North Avenue 52, according to the LAPD.
Responding officers demanded the suspect exit the residence, but he refused and barricaded himself inside of the home, at which time a SWAT team was called, Preciado said.
An officer at the scene told KNX Newsradio that five rounds of tear gas were used to try to flush the man out of the residence before he finally emerged, still combative, forcing police to use a stun gun to get him into custody.
Now in its third year, the 2016 Latin Jazz and Musical Festival returns to Northeast Los Angeles this weekend, with two days of great live outdoor performances, all free to attend.
The music festival will take place at Sycamore Grove Park on Figueroa Street, and is once again spearheaded by Councilman Gil Cedillo, with help from a slew of sponsors ranging from Metro to Walmart.
When Cedillo introduced the Latin Jazz and Music Festival back in 2014, he said he wanted a festival that matched Highland Park’s “authentic character and vibe.” He also wanted to make sure that the festival would appeal to the area’s young people and take into account the local area’s large Latino population.
The two-day event opens Saturday with the Plaza De La Raza Youth Ensemble at 11:45 a.m. followed by the Heart of Los Angeles Youth Big Band. Headlining Saturday night are the Latin jazz and salsa sounds of Oscar Hernandez and Alma Libre.
Sunday opens at noon with Renancimiento Trio followed by the Bravo High School Latin Jazz Ensemble. Andy Vargas and the Souleros headline Sunday; their show starts at 7 p.m.
Festivalgoers will also enjoy delicious offerings from a variety of food trucks and for those 21 and over, Highland Park’s Greyhound Bar & Grill is hosting a beer garden. This is a wheelchair accessible event for all the family, and organizers suggest bringing a chair, umbrella and sunscreen,
There’s off-street parking and shuttle service available. So walk, bike, skate or take public transportation to the Southwest Museum Metro Station.
Sycamore Grove Park is located at 4702 N. Figueroa St., Highland Park 90042. For more information, call (323) 550-1538.
The large United States flag that flew high above The Veteran’s Memorial Square in Highland Park was recently taken down after becoming unserviceable, now the community is being asked to come together and donate to purchase a new flag.
The Post Commander of American Legion Post #206, a nonprofit in Highland Park, is raising funds to purchase the flag, and has started a “go fund me” campaign to support the effort. For more information, visit American Legion Post 206’s Facebook page.
To make a donation, to https://www.gofundme.com/24mfgepw
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti reminded renters last week that they have rights under the city’s Rent Stabilization Ordinance, but as one group of tenants in Highland Park has found out, those rights don’t apply to everyone.
The city ordinance provides protections against eviction and rent hikes to some tenants living in older apartment dwellings, but not to the nearly 60 families living at the Marmion Royal apartment complex at 5800 Marmion Way, across the street from the Highland Park Gold Line Station. The tenants are facing eviction by the property’s new owners, Skya Ventures and Gelt Ventures, who purchased the property from Azusa Pacific University for $14.3 million.
In May, Skya’s president, Gelena Skya-Wasserman, told real estate news site The Real Deal that they plan to renovate the building’s façade and apartment units, and to upgrade security and add new amenities to the complex, which according to The Real Deal was 91% leased when the property changed hands.
Residents and housing advocates on Tuesday denounced the evictions as another example of families being displaced by gentrification of the Northeast Los Angeles neighborhood.
Theresa Andrade, mother of three, told EGP about a year ago she was forced to leave her apartment located on Avenue 51, near Monte Vista Street, because they were increasing her rent.
“Now I’m being evicted from this apartment too,” she added worried.
Flor Ventura and her husband and son have lived at the Marmion Royal for 10 years. On May 16, they received a notice informing them they had 60 days to vacate their apartment.
Ventura told EGP she was at first confused, but soon realized she wasn’t alone. Many of her neighbors had received the same notice.
Not knowing what else to do, she told EGP they reached out to their local councilman, Gil Cedillo, who chairs the city council’s housing committee.
According to Ventura, staff in Cedillo’s Highland Park Field Office told them the problem was out of their hands because the property doesn’t fall under the rent stabilization ordinance, and therefore there was nothing the council office could do for them.
“Basically, they told us the people who bought the building have a lot of money and there’s nothing we can do but leave,” Ventura told EGP in Spanish.
Protections under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance or RSO, apply to multi-unit buildings built before 1978; the Marmion Royal was built in 1987.
The lack of protections for tenants like those at the Marmion Royal has allowed landlords to raise rents as high as they want and has led to a flood of no-fault evictions at the same time that the demand for housing is on the rise, claims the NELA Alliance, a group of local activists documenting gentrification in Northeast L.A.
The majority of tenants living in the units are working-class Latinos. Several tenants receive Section 8 housing subsidies.
“Tenants have asked why we [Los Angeles] do not offer an extended rent control policy,” Cedillo spokesman Fredy Cejas told EGP. According to Cejas, under the 1995 Costa Hawkins Act, “no law can interfere with an owner’s ability to establish the rental rate for his/her property.”
“The Marmion Royal complex does not fall under RSO protection, which means there is little room for us to intervene,” he told EGP.
Ventura said tenants attempted to come to an agreement with the owner that would allow them to return to their apartments once the remodel is complete, but while he was amenable to allowing them to return, their new rent would be nearly double what they now pay.
There’s also the additional cost of finding a new place to live while construction is going on, making the deal unaffordable.
The tenants have formed the Marmion Royal Tenants’ Union, a new entity under which they will fight their displacement.
About 50 tenants have so far signed a petition to fight their evictions, according to John Urquiza, a NELA Alliance activist.
Attorney Elena Popp with the Eviction Defense Network of Los Angeles is helping to protect the tenants from retribution by the landlord.
“When we get to the eviction process, the attorney will kick in and defend tenants,” Urquiza said.
In the meantime, tenants claim the landlord, who already has crews to begin working on the building, is harassing them.
“They have cut the water several days without previous notice,” Marylyn Zamaniego told EGP during Tuesday’s protest. “My daughter is afraid of the constant noise crew workers make,” she added.
EGP reached out to the new owners for comment, but they had not responded as of press time.
However, in May, The Real Deal reported that Skya-Wasserman boasted the “walkability of the up-and-coming neighborhood.”
“The owners prized the adjacency to the [Gold Line] station, which was built in 1911,” according The Real Deal.
The parents of a 17-year-old student who was killed when he was struck by a city-owned flatbed truck in a Highland Park crosswalk filed a lawsuit Friday against the city of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, the state and the driver of the truck.
Mariposa Perez, the mother of Andres Perez of Montebello, and the boy’s father, Sal Perez, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging negligence, dangerous condition on a public property and assault and battery.
The suit seeks unspecified damages against all parties as well as punitive damages against the truck driver, David M. Francis.
A spokesman for the City Attorney’s Office did not immediately return a call for comment.
Perez was struck Dec. 15 after the Los Angeles Unified School District closed all campuses because of a threat sent to several school board members.
The teen was headed to Los Angeles International Charter High School and was crossing the street at Avenue 60 and Figueroa Street at about 7:30 a.m. when the city vehicle driven by Francis hit him, police said at the time.
LAUSD officials said that because the notice classes had been canceled came late, many students had not heard about it and were headed toward their schools.
The lawsuit states that the location where Andres Perez was killed is a T-intersection that is “dangerously defective” with inadequate traffic control devices, poor pavement markings, a difficult line-of-sight and poor tree placement, all of which make it a “dangerous, concealed trap for pedestrians.”
Francis had a prior history of being “impulsive, careless, thoughtless… as well as being mentally, emotionally and physically unstable,” the suit states. The driver also was “blatantly and egregiously unfit and unqualified to be driving the … truck,” the suit alleges.
Francis tried to hide, destroy or misrepresent evidence about the incident to try and evade responsibility, the suit alleges.
The LAPD said Francis told them he did not see the teen, but stopped after hitting the boy and tried to help him.