The trial on a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against Los Angeles Councilman Jose Huizar by a former staff member has been set for Nov. 10 in Superior Court, unless a settlement agreement is reached.
The lawsuit filed by Francine Godoy alleges the councilman harassed and retaliated against her after she refused to have a sexual relationship with him.
Godoy claims Huizar tied endorsement of her bid for political office to her providing him with “sexual favors,” but withdrew his support and campaigned to ruin her when she refused.
Huizar has admitted to a consensual relationship with Godoy, but says her claims that he sexually harassed and retaliated against her are “false and malicious.”
In a separate matter, The Times reported last week that attorneys for the city have recommended paying $185,000 to settle a car crash lawsuit brought against Huizar, who was driving a city-owned vehicle when he rear-ended a former Huntington Park police officer in 2012. Humberto Guizar, David Ceja’s attorney told The Times the settlement was a compromise, and he could have ”possibly gotten a seven-figure amount” had the case gone to trial. Huizar did not comment on the story.