Police Fatally Shoot Woman Involved in Domestic Dispute

June 22, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

A 28-year-old woman was shot to death by a Montebello police officer, after she drove a car toward the officer and her boyfriend, the Sheriff’s Department said Sunday.

The officer-involved shooting occurred at 4:05 p.m. Saturday in the 7700 block of Telegraph Road, Deputy Ryan Rouzan of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau said.

The couple was using the pool at a Quality Inn motel and had been drinking heavily during the day, investigators said. An argument escalated to the point where the woman went inside the motel lobby and told the front desk clerk that her boyfriend had taken her purse, said Deputy Kelvin Moody of the

Sheriff’s Information Bureau.

Montebello police were notified and responded to the location, where the woman allegedly returned to her boyfriend and began assaulting him, Moody said.

”As the suspect drives away, she makes a U-turn, and drives toward the officer and the boyfriend with her car, at which time an officer-involved shooting occurred,” he said.

The woman was struck several times in the upper body. Paramedics rushed her to an area hospital, where she was pronounced dead, Moody said.

The California Highway Patrol issued a SigAlert at 6 p.m. Saturday shutting the Slauson offramp from the northbound Santa Ana (5) Freeway for the “police activity.” The SigAlert was cancelled about 9:40 p.m. Saturday.

The sheriff’s Homicide Bureau asked anyone with information regarding the incident to call them at (323) 890-5500.

‘Rock En Español’ Festival – Bridging the Divide

June 22, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

MONTEBELLO – Can music heal international relationships? How about the bad feelings between neighbors? Organizers of an outdoor concert next week in Montebello think it’s worth a try.

The Mexican Cultural Institute of Los Angeles and the city of Montebello have joined forces to produce “Rock en Español,” a music festival that will kick off the city’s annual summer concert series on June 29.

The hope is that the concert showcasing the talents of artists from Mexico will help dispel disparaging images of Mexicans conjured up by Pres. Trump, Jose Antonio Aguirre, executive director of the Mexican Cultural Institute told EGP.

Spanish rocks bands will be performing in Montebello next week.  (Courtesy of Mexican Cultural Institute of Los Angeles)

Spanish rocks bands will be performing in Montebello next week. (Courtesy of Mexican Cultural Institute of Los Angeles)

“[President] Trump wants to build a wall, we want to build a cultural bridge,” Aguirre said.

The free to attend Spanish rock music festival, co-sponsored by County Sup. Hilda Solis in close collaboration with Montebello Mayor Vivian Romero, will be held at the Montebello City Park band shell June 29 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Montebello’s concert series continues through August 17, featuring a different artist every Thursday.

The “Rock en Español” lineup features Mexico City-based band “Smash-O” making its debut performance in California; “Ley de Hielo,” a band that has been around for decades and one of the first to land a major Spanish rock contract; and “Eclipse Music,” which at one time had its own rock-in-roll radio show.

“I hope people look at these young bands from Mexico and see there’s talent in Mexico,” said Aguirre.

The nonprofit Mexican Cultural Institute is dedicated to improving relations between Mexico and the United States through cultural exchanges, including art and musical and dance performances.

To that end, the Rock En Español festival will also include artisan booths and feature a family-friendly arts and craft workshop, similar to those offered by the Mexican Cultural Institute during past concerts at El Pueblo Historical Monument/Olvera Street.

According to Aguirre, the Mexican Cultural Institute chose to partner with Montebello in order to bring something different to the city and its large Mexican-American population. He said they wanted to create a cultural experience that goes beyond the more traditional mariachi and folklorico performances that have become commonplace.

While the president may never hear about the concert, organizers said they want to prove to people here at home that Trump is wrong, and to specifically show that not everyone wants to cross the border to take advantage of the U.S; many stay in Mexico to follow their dreams and achieve great success, Aguirre said.

“Yes, there are some ‘bad hombres,’ but not everyone is.”

Some of them just might be rock stars.

 

Breves

June 22, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

SOUTH GATE

(CNS) – Un subjeto sospechado de haber robado un coche fue baleado mortalmente después de una persecución policiaca cual terminó en South Gate y una mujer fue herida cuando el vehículo SUV manejado por el sospechoso chocó con el de ella.

La policía dijo que el sospechoso, quien creen haber tenido unos 20 y tantos años, manejaba un Honda Pilot. Oficiales intentaron parar el coche alrededor de la las 8 a.m., pero el motorista adelantó hasta golpear con el carro de la mujer y parace tres otros vehículos.

Después de la colisión, el sospechoso desembarcó del vehículo y corrió hacia un callejón, con la policía en seguida. Una confrontación se dió y la policía lo disparó fatalmente. Fue declarado muerto ahí mismo.

La mujer fue transportada al hospital con heridas indeterminadas. No se reportó ningúna lesión sufrida por algún oficial de la policía.

 

MAYWOOD

(CNS) – La oficina de forense identificó el domingo 18 de junio a un hombre de 36 años quien fue baleado y asesinado en la cuidad de Maywood. El tiroteo ocurrió a las 4:47 de la tarde del miércoles en el bloque 3700 del este de la calle 56, según la información del Alguacil Trina Schrader del Condado de Los Ángeles.

Elías Jiménez fue encontrado dentro de una residencia sufriendo de al menos una herida de bala en el pecho, dijo Schrader y la oficina del forense. Jiménez fue declarado muerto ahí mismo. No hay información del sospechoso disponible.

Cualquier persona con información sobre el crimen es instada a comunicarse con la oficina del Sheriff al (323) 890-5500.

 

MONTEBELLO

(CNS) – Una mujer de 28 años murió el domingo 18 de junio a tiros por un oficial de policía de Montebello, después de conducir un carro hacia al oficial y su novio, según el departamento del Sheriff.

El tiroteo ocurrió a las 4:05 de la tarde del sábado in el bloque 7700 de la calle Camino Telegraph, dijo el Diputado Ryan Rouzan.

La pareja había bebido pesadamente durante el día, dijeron los investigadores. Un argumento de la pareja ascendió hasta el punto que la mujer acuso a su novio de tomar su bolsa, dijo el Diputado Kelvin Moody.

El departamento de policía de Montebello fue notificado y respondió a la ubicación, dijo Moody.

“Cuando la sospechosa se aleja con el carro hizo un giro en “u” y empezó a conducir hacia el oficial y a su novio, el mismo tiempo cuando el oficial empezó a disparar” dijo Moody.

La mujer fue disparada varias veces en la parte superior de su cuerpo. Los paramédicos la llevaron un hospital en donde fue declarada muerta, dijo Moody.

La oficina de homicidas del Sheriff pidió a cualquier persona con información sobre el incidente que se comuniquen al (323) 890-5500.

Man Run Over by Tow Truck on 60 Freeway

June 9, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

MONTEBELLO – A Riverside County man was killed today when a truck that was towing his big rig ran over him as he was examining the underside of his vehicle at the side of a freeway in Montebello, authorities said.

The accident occurred about 1 a.m. on the side of the westbound Pomona (60) Freeway, east of Findlay Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Stephen Lamb, 70, of Moreno Valley died at the scene, said coroner’s Assistant Chief Ed Winter.

The driver of the 2014 Peterbuilt heavy-duty tow truck, with the big rig in tow, pulled over onto the right shoulder of the freeway “because of possible brake problems with the vehicle in tow,” according to a CHP statement.

The tow truck driver and Lamb both got out of the hauler and the other driver “attempted to fix the problem and returned to (the tow truck) to move it forward to make sure the problem was corrected,” the statement said.

“For unknown reasons, (Lamb) crawled under the rear axle of the vehicle in tow, without advising (the tow truck driver),” the statement said. “As a result, (Lamb) was struck by the rear wheels of the vehicle in tow and was pronounced deceased on scene.”

Alcohol or drugs are not believed to be a factor, the CHP reported.

The westbound No. 5 lane and the Garfield Avenue onramp were blocked until about 6:20 a.m. while an investigation was conducted.

Crash Claims Life of Elderly Woman

June 8, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

A 76-year-old woman was identified by the coroner’s office Monday as the person killed when a Dodge Challenger and a small sedan collided in Montebello.

She was Maria Medina of Montebello, said coroner’s Lt. Larry Dietz. The cause of death was multiple blunt trauma.

The crash happened about 1:30 p.m. Saturday on Washington Boulevard and Fifth Street, said Montebello police Lt. L. Jackson.

The woman — who was a passenger in the sedan — was pronounced dead at the scene and a girl in the car girl was taken to a hospital in critical condition, Jackson said. The driver was also injured but the extent of that woman’s injuries were not available.

The man driving the Challenger was not hurt, the lieutenant said.

Washington Boulevard was shut down between Fifth Street and Bluff Road for the police investigation, Jackson said. Neither alcohol nor drugs were believed responsible for the crash.

Montebello Remembers Military Sacrifice

June 1, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

Hundreds of people turned out Monday for Montebello’s annual Memorial Day Ceremony at the city’s Veterans Memorial Monument.

The event, which paid homage to the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives in service to their country, included the traditional ringing of the bell as each of the names of the fallen soldiers from Montebello was read. Gold Star Families were recognizes wit certificates of appreciation for their sacrifice, white doves were released and as is customary, a Honor Guard from American Legion Post 272 stood at attention as the sound of Taps filled the air.

(Photo courtesy of Gerardo Mayagoitia)

(Photo courtesy of Gerardo Mayagoitia)

Pictured front row: David Sanchez sitting next to his father, WWII Veteran William Sanchez who fought in the Corregidor, Philippines and is a survivor of the March of Bataan. Back row, left to right: Keynote speaker Vietnam Veteran Ruben Treviso, L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis, Mayor Vivian Romero, Mayor Pro Tem Bill Molinari and Jaime Rodriguez of LULAC Greater LA County Council.

 

 

Montebello Home Searched in Connection to Missing Boy

May 25, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

Detectives investigating the April disappearance of a 5-year-old South Pasadena boy served a warrant today at the Montebello home of his paternal grandmother.

Law enforcement personnel spent about three hours at the house in the 500 block of North Via Val Verde – arriving at about 9 a.m. – as part of their investigative search for Aramazd Andressian Jr.

The residence is that of the mother of the child’s father, Aramazd Andressian Sr., the sheriff’s department confirmed.

The boy’s father recently moved into the mother’s home, broadcast reports said.

“Investigators seized various items of evidence in their efforts,” according to a sheriff’s statement. Other details were not released.

Two women were taken from the home to the East Los Angeles Sheriff’s Station in a patrol car, according to NBC4. The sheriff’s department declined comment on that report.

The child last was seen the evening of April 20 in the custody of his father, who was found unconscious at Arroyo Seco Park on April 22 and was unable to account for his son’s whereabouts. He was jailed for three days on $10 million bail before being released.

He told investigators he had arrived at the park with his son and waited for the golf course to open, and admitted ingesting prescription medication that was not prescribed to him, sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza said last week.

But the father said he did not remember what happened to his child or any details that were useful in locating the boy, according to Mendoza, who said a prescription bottle was found inside Andressian’s vehicle, which was doused with gasoline inside and out.

Matches and a gasoline container and were also found inside the car and a rag that had been doused with gasoline was found in the area near the vehicle’s gas cap, Mendoza said, adding that it’s unclear “how those items play into what occurred.”

Authorities searched the park on May 18 after receiving what they said was a “credible” tip, but did not find any evidence. The search was in the same general area that was searched by South Pasadena and San Marino police soon after the boy went missing, Mendoza said.

The search for the boy has spanned several Southern California counties, including Santa Barbara, where authorities scoured the Lake Cachuma Recreation Area, where he may have been with his father on April 21.

On April 28, the day a search warrant was served at his South Pasadena home, Andressian released a statement through his attorney about his son’s disappearance.

“I hope and pray for the safe return of my only child, my namesake, who has been missing since last Saturday morning, April 22nd,” he said.

Andressian said his son wanted to go to the park that morning before they met with his mother for a custody exchange.

He said he and his family “are heartbroken and grief-stricken that Aramazd Jr. is missing and may be in harm’s way. I am pleading with the public to come forward with any knowledge of Aramazd Jr.’s whereabouts or information regarding the circumstances leading up to his disappearance.”

When Andressian was released from custody, the sheriff’s department said it had decided “not to present the case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office for filing consideration at this time. The matter remains under investigation.”

The boy’s mother contacted police at 9 a.m. April 22 to report her son missing. She said her estranged husband, with whom she shares custody of their son, had failed to drop off the child at a pre-arranged meeting place.

Last week, she tearfully appealed for help in finding her son.

A $20,000 reward has been offered by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors for information that helps authorities locate the child, who is white, 4-foot-1 and 55 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

He last was seen wearing a plaid shirt and plaid shorts and has a small mole on the bottom of his right shoulder.

Tax Hike Placed on November Ballot

May 18, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

MONTEBELLO – Declaring a fiscal emergency, the Montebello city council has voted to hold a special election in November to ask voters to approve a 1-cent hike in the local sales tax.

If approved, Montebello’s sale tax will climb to 9.75 percent, higher than the 9.25 rate in Commerce, but the same rate as in nearby Pico Rivera.

With a projected $5 million deficit for 2017-2018, the city estimates the increase would generate approximately $9.5 million annually for the financially troubled city.

Running out of time and options, city officials were forced to declare the fiscal emergency required to hold a special election in conjunction with Los Angeles County’s Nov. 7 election, or wait until next year.

Under the resolution approved May 10, the city will establish fiscal policies aimed at reducing waste during the emergency declaration. If approved, monies generated through the sales will be placed in a separate fund, with a new, special oversight committee – made up of Mayor Pro Tem Bill Molinari, Councilwoman Vanessa Delgado, the city manager, finance director, representatives from employee bargaining units and five members of the community — recommending to the city council how the funds should be spent.

The proposal to raise the sales tax was originally presented to the council in April, but failed to move forward when Molinari voted against it, citing issues he had with city spending.

Molinari’s concerns were partially addressed in the new resolution, which will impose a hiring freeze on all full-time city positions except for those related to public safety. It also requires contracts exceeding $20,000 to be approved by the council, regular updates on contracts approved by the city administrator, caps the city council’s annual travel budget to $3,600 each and prohibits city funds from being used for city council meals.

The city council hopes to avoid a repeat of last year’s Measure W, which would have approved the sale of the city’s water system but was defeated by voters distrustful of the city’s motives.

Last month, Montebello’s fiscal stimulus committee recommended the city consider studying its fee schedule to determine if they are in line with those in other cities, imposing a utility tax and/or increasing the sales tax.

City officials opted for the sales tax route, explaining a fee study would take too long to complete. Staff had noted the sales tax could generate more revenue than a utility user tax and would be paid by anyone conducting business in the city, not just residents.

 

Motorcyclist Killed While Fleeing Police

May 3, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

A motorcyclist who was the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant was killed Monday when he collided with another vehicle while fleeing from an officer who tried to pull him over for a routine traffic stop.

Authorities Thursday identified the motorcyclist as George Rodriguez, 43, of Arleta. He died at the scene, the coroner’s office reported.

The collision happened about 8 a.m. at the intersection of Via Campo and Wilcox Avenue, according to Montebello police and the California Highway Patrol.

An officer tried to make a traffic stop but the rider, who was named in a no-bail arrest warrant, fled northbound on Wilcox Avenue, ran a red light and collided with a vehicle that was eastbound on Via Campo, Montebello police Lt. Julio Calleros said.

The officer did not chase the motorcyclist, Calleros said.

The woman driving the other vehicle was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, according to Calleros, who did not know why the motorcyclist was wanted.

Via Campo was closed between Wilcox and Vail avenues while an investigation was conducted, as was the Wilcox Avenue off-ramp from the eastbound Pomona (60) Freeway.

Update: May 4, 2017 1p.m. to include the name of the motorcyclist.

MUSD Rescinds Remaining Teacher Pink Slips

April 20, 2017 by · Leave a Comment 

MONTEBELLO– Montebello Unified School District officials announced last week they were rescinding layoffs for the remaining 100 teachers who received a reduction-in-force notice.

The announcement comes on the heels of the district rescinding 233 teacher RIF notices. Last month, 333 teachers and a number of administrators and classified staff received pink slips in an attempt to close a $17 million budget gap.

Layoff notices sent out to administrators and classified staff, have yet to be rescinded.

The district has been working with the Los Angeles County Office of Education to keep teachers employed.

“They need to know from the onset, this district was looking for ways to keep them on the job,” MUSD Board President Lani Cupchoy said in a statement.

Next Page »

Copyright © 2017 Eastern Group Publications/EGPNews, Inc. ·